|We are happy to announce the first Humidtropics International Conference on Integrated Systems Research. Entitled Systems Research for Sustainable Intensification in Smallholder Agriculture, the conference will take place at the Conference Center of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), in Ibadan, Nigeria, from October 7 to 10, 2014.Theme: The Role of Systems Research in Sustainable IntensificationCore questions to be addressed include:
- What is sustainable intensification in the context of smallholder agriculture in the developing world?
- What is systems research and how does it result in or contribute to development outcomes?
- What is the evidence for scientific underpinnings of systems research?
- What role do development partners, farmer organizations and non-governmental agencies play in systems research and its link towards development?
- How practical are R4D (Research for Development) and Innovation Platforms as mechanisms for building and implementing partnerships and participatory approaches for systems research?
- How is gender, including the dimensions of women, men and youth, addressed to optimise effectiveness and efficiency in agricultural systems research for development?
- What are the policy dimensions that are related to sustainable intensification and systems research, and how may these be leveraged to strengthen the development outcomes of research?
The conference will attempt to deal with major components within systems research in agriculture, using the strategic research theme framework of Humidtropics as a guide. The emphasis will be on RESULTS: data, methods and lessons learnt.
The call for papers and posters, as well as preliminary conference information are now available at http://humidtropics.cgiar.org/events/humidtropics-2014-science-conference
The deadline for submission of your abstract(s) is June 1, 2014. There will be no extension of this submission deadline. The conference language is English and high quality abstracts of original research (250-350 words) are invited to be submitted using the online form at http://humidtropics.cgiar.org/conference1/submission (available until June 1, 2014).
Based on the quality of the submission, reviewers will decide upon the suitability of the contribution for presentation at the conference. Contributions of an interdisciplinary nature will be preferentially selected as oral presentation and we encourage younger scientists to make submissions. Poster contributions will be grouped into thematic clusters and will be addressed in guided poster sessions. Notifications of acceptance will be sent on July 15, 2014.
All accepted contributions, both oral and poster, will be published in the conference proceedings and on the Humidtropics website. Additionally, selected papers will be published as a special edition of a peer-reviewed journal. The authors are required to submit the full paper by September 15, 2014, for initial analysis and review.
For more information please download the full conference details:
Registration information for the conference is found at http://humidtropics.cgiar.org/conference1/registration
On behalf of the local organizing committee, we are looking forward to your contribution and to welcoming you to the Humidtropics International Conference!